Uncover the grill and grab your favorite bikini, because the relaxing days of summer are here! Summer often implies warmth, fun, and sunshine, but it can also bring safety hazards. With the right summer safety tips, summertime can be a relaxing and safe time for you and your family. Here are 5 summer safety tips to keep you safe and out of the emergency room.
- Always wear a helmet to protect your head in case of crash.
- Make sure your bike is the proper fit.
- Use reflectors and lights when riding at night.
- Use a sunscreen that is at least SPF, 30 minutes before going out.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
- Wear sun-protective clothing.
- Limit sun exposure during the peak intensity hours – between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Stay in the shade whenever possible.
Beat the Heat
- Fill up on water regularly to remain hydrated.
- Avoid strenuous exercise on particularly hot days.
- Watch for heat exhaustion: dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache, and confusion.
- Never leave children alone around water.
- Designate an adult to watch kids in or around the water.
- Learn how to swim. Never swim alone.
Beware of Bugs
- Use an insect repellent that contains citronella or DEET.
- Change clothes and wash off repellent when you come inside.
- Avoid bug-infested areas such as tall grass and still water.
These are just a few of the many summer safety tips to keep you and your family safe, healthy and happy this season. Don’t be afraid to get out and enjoy the summer sunshine, just be sure to be prepared, and know when to have fun under the sun.