VIRTUAL MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS SUPPORT GROUP BEGINS IN MARCH 2021
Living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) can challenge your health, relationships, employment, and overall wellness. Participating in an MS Support Group can be helpful as it offers a safe place for patients and loved ones impacted by MS to gather and develop an extended support system. This support group will offer the following:
- Exchanging tips and information
- Talking about challenges
- Learning new coping strategies
- Sharing feelings, needs and concerns
- Learning about resources available in the community
This MS Support Group will be held virtually via Zoom. March 2021 will feature information and strategies on living with Multiple Sclerosis and will offered on Tuesday, March 23rd. There are two sessions to choose from: 2 pm – 4 pm or 6 pm to 8 pm. To sign up for a session, please click here. This link will take you to our event calendar. Please scroll to March and click on the date and time of the session you will be participating in.
MEMORIAL HEALTHCARE INSTITUTE FOR NEUROSCIENCE NOW A CENTER FOR COMPREHENSIVE MS CARE!
We are excited to announce we have been recognized as a Center for Comprehensive MS Care by the National MS Society! Click here to read our full press release.
Please scroll down for links to articles and videos specifically relating to Multiple Sclerosis.
Dr. Rany Aburashed, board certified Neurologist, is designated as a Partner in Multiple Sclerosis Care – Neurological Care from the Michigan Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Dr. Aburashed, who is affectionately known by his patients, as “Dr. Rany,” is the first neurologist in Michigan to receive this designation, which recognizes clinicians who have demonstrated their capability to provide optimal care and support to people with MS. Dr. Rany serves as Chief of Neurology for Memorial Healthcare and is an Assistant Professor at Michigan State University where he educates neurology residents and medical students.
Dr. Jeanie Cote is a graduate of Wayne State University School of Medicine. She completed her residency in neurology at the University of Michigan Health System and a fellowship in Multiple Sclerosis also at the University of Michigan Health System. She is a member of the American Academy of Neurology and has certificates from the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and the Academy of Pain Research.
Dr. Robert Pace cares for and has expertise in a variety of neurologic conditions. He is passionate about demyelinating conditions of the central nervous system and holds a fellowship from the University of Michigan in clinical neuroimmunology and MS. He has experience using a variety of immunomodulating and suppressing agents and also lectures nationally regarding treatment options in Multiple Sclerosis.
Through the efforts of the Institute for Neuroscience, MS patients now have access to:
- quality neurologic care
- mental health services
- occupational and physical therapy services
- speech and language pathology services
- current and new medical trials (click here to learn more about how these clinical trials are developed)
- new medications
- and much more
The Institute for Neuroscience work collaboratively with the Michigan Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society to assist patients with access to:
- social and emotional support groups
- insurance and financial support
- health and wellness
- financial assistance
For specific details on the Michigan Chapter of the National MS Society, click here.
Memorial Healthcare is currently constructing a new $40 million, 104,000 square foot patient-centered neurology, orthopedic, rehabilitation and community wellness center in Owosso! The new center, tentatively scheduled to open in late 2021, will provide neurology patients with same day services including lab, imaging, social workers, physical therapy, pharmacy, and more. The center was designed specifically with our patients in mind: where services are brought directly to patient treatment rooms versus having patients travel to different locations to receive services. To see our progress on this exciting project, click here.
- The Sociable – What the ‘biomarker revolution’ means for personalized, precision medicine
- Crain’s Detroit Business – Hospital plots leadership path in MS research
- Crain’s Detroit Business Article – How a rural hospital became a neurology hub and stayed independent
- Multiple Sclerosis News Today – Michigan’s Memorial Healthcare first in US to fest NfL in MS patients
- ABC12 – Memorial Healthcare first to use NfL testing on patients with neurological conditions
- The Argus Press – MS testing puts Memorial at forefront of research
- Dr. Rany Aburashed (Nasdaq – biotechnology)
- Dr. Jeanie Cote – Multiple Sclerosis
- Dr. Rany Aburashed and Dr. Robert Pace – Multiple Sclerosis
- Dr. Rany Aburashed – Multiple Sclerosis (FOX2 Detroit)
Memorial Healthcare Institute for Neuroscience is an employed physician practice of Memorial Medical Associates, a department of Memorial Healthcare.