Accepting New Patients
Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
Memorial Healthcare Institute For Neuroscience – Owosso
Patient Ratings and Comments
The Patient Rating score is based on responses given during the CAHPS Patient Experience Survey. Responses are measured on a 10-point scale, with 10 being the best score. These scores are then translated to a 5-point scale in order to display results in a 5-star rating. Comments are also gathered from the same survey and displayed in their entirety with the exception of any language that may be considered slander, libel or contain private health information, which will be removed prior to publishing the comments.
Click here to watch Dr. Frey’s interview with ABC12 on SMA and our Spinraza treatment
Dr. Frey is a board certified neurologist with the Institute for Neuroscience. Dr. Frey provides a wide range of neurology services with a specialty in the treatment of complex epilepsy and Muscular Dystrophy. She has completed a fellowship in clinical neurophysiology and serves as the Medical Director of the MDA/ALS Care Center in Owosso.
Memorial Healthcare’s Institute for Neuroscience is world-renowned in the neurology field. Since 2015, Memorial Healthcare has been the first, or one of the first, hospitals in the State of Michigan to administer drug therapy treatments for its patients including Lemtrada (for MS), Ocrevus (for MS), Radicava (ALS), and Spinraza (for Spinal Muscular Atrophy). In addition, Memorial Healthcare is one of just three MDA care clinics in the State of Michigan.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Spinraza in December 2016, the first drug approved to treat children and adults with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), a rare and often fatal genetic disease affecting muscle strength and movement.
- Memorial Healthcare is one of five hospitals in the State of Michigan administrating Spinraza to adults, aged 15 years and older with the goal of treatment being able to stabilize the disease process
- Spinraza is administered in partnership with interventional radiologists on an outpatient basis on the main campus of Memorial Healthcare
- After its initial dose, Spinraza is given at 14-day intervals; with the 4th dose administered 30 days after the 3rd Maintenance doses are administered once every 4 months thereafter
- Dr. Frey treated her first patient with Spinraza in December 2017. Early results have shown:
- After just one treatment, a 23 year old patient has seen some improvement in muscle movement including being able to lift a glass and plate and roll from her back to her side
- A patient in his 60’s, is now able to push an elevator button, something he hasn’t been able to do in quite some time
To learn more about SMA, visit CureSMA by clicking here.
Dr. Frey is accepting new patients with most insurances.
Memorial Healthcare Institute for Neuroscience (Owosso) is an employed physician practice of Memorial Medical Associates, a department of Memorial Healthcare.
Accepting new patients
BCBSM Blue Preferred Plus
BCBSM Medicare Plus Blue PPO
BCBSM Traditional, HAP
BCN Medicare Advantage
Blue Care Network
Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO/ Trust
Blue Cross Complete
HAP Empowered Medicaid
Health Alliance Plan of MI
Meridian Health Plan Medicaid
Palmetto GBA(Railroad Medicare)
Physicians Health Plan Commercial
Sparrow Physicians Health Network
United Healthcare Commercial
United Healthcare Community Plan