Diabetes Self Management Learning Program
This program is designed to assist those with diabetes or pre-diabetes to learn valuable self-management skills for controlling blood glucose levels and reducing risk of long-term complications.
Who will benefit?
Individuals with Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, Pre-Diabetes or Gestational diabetes. Individual instruction includes information on managing Type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes, and/or insulin administration. Group classes are available for those with Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes.
Diabetes Support Groups
These support groups are for individuals, family members and caregivers who deal with Type 2 diabetes. There is no cost for attending. For either group, call (989) 729-4712 with any questions.
- Owosso – Woodard Station (317 S. Elm Street, Suite 202, Owosso)
- Last Tuesday of each month from 9 am to 10 am
- Last Wednesday of each month from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Morrice – Shiawassee Council on Aging (101 W. Mason, Morrice)
- Second Friday of the month from 1 pm to 2 pm
- Durand – Shiawassee Council on Aging (8618 E. Lansing Rd., Durand)
- Fourth Friday of the month from 1 pm to 2 pm
Outpatient Nutrition Counseling
This program is designed for individuals with medical problems who will benefit from meal planning and lifestyle changes. Nutrition counseling provides individuals with the ability to make informed decisions about their diet and gives them the tools to control and manage their nutritional needs.
Counseling is provided by a registered dietitian on an individualized basis utilizing an assessment of each person’s dietary and medical needs and preferences.
Who will benefit?
Individuals, families, caregivers and other support persons dealing with:
- High cholesterol
- Weight management
- Kidney disease
- Celiac disease
- High blood pressure
- and more…